Growing emotional intimacy requires work and attention. When it’s lacking, a marriage can suffer. Restoring emotional intimacy after it’s lost can be tougher than working to preserve it along the way. So, how do you recognize when intimacy is waning and how do you keep the flame lit for years to come?
8 Warning Signs that Intimacy is Lacking
Many couples don’t recognize the signs that their relationship is lacking emotional intimacy. Here are 8 warning signs to look for:
- You feel distant from your spouse.
- Neither of you talks about your emotions.
- One of you shares more than the other.
- You stop sharing your lives with one another.
- You don’t touch outside of the bedroom.
- Not sharing any hobbies like you used to.
- Have trouble listening to one another.
- Stop asking for advice from each other.
Whether you’ve lost the intimacy, or it wasn’t well-developed in the first place, recognizing the signs is critical to get your connection back. Both partners must work toward building and maintaining closeness.
Jumpstart Emotional Intimacy
If your marriage seems to lack emotional intimacy, there are many things you can do to strengthen and deepen that connection. Use this guide to jumpstart the intimacy in your marriage.
- Silence the electronics. Remove the distraction and focus on each other.
- Increase the amount of time spent together. Make dates and alone time intentional.
- Be a safe space for your spouse. Belittling or emotionally attacking sabotages intimacy.
- Read a good book together. Do a devotional together. Talk about what you read.
- Balance your individual needs with your spouse’s needs. Too much togetherness can also be a hindrance.
- Make a “fun list.” Explore activities you’ve both always wanted to try.
- Consider marriage enrichment activities. Attending fun marriage retreats and conferences will help you build your relationship and open up an opportunity for communication and much-needed quality time.
- Get help when you need it. If you feel your emotional intimacy is heading downward, you want to seek support from a Christian counselor. With dedication, time, and sincere attention, you can repair the connection.
Strong emotional bonds in a marriage are critical and worth the effort. Taking the steps and growing emotional intimacy demonstrates your commitment to a long, secure, and happy marriage. It will help you be better parents as well as a fantastic spouse.
Growing Emotional Intimacy in Your Marriage
If you need help in growing emotional intimacy in your marriage, Eagle Family Ministries hosts fun marriage retreats every year in Branson, MO. We also travel all over the country to bring marriage conferences to you. Let’s get started! (479) 464-4442
We are social! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for tools to help your marriage be fruitful and full of life.