Marriage in Scripture: What Does the Bible Say about it?
One Flesh! Marriage in Scripture
Although marriage has taken different forms in different cultures, it is important to note that God created marriage. The Bible says that God performed the first marriage in Eden on the sixth day. The Bible gives an account of the very first marriage in scripture in Genesis 2:21-24:
21-22 God put the Man in a deep sleep. As he slept he removed one of his ribs and replaced it with flesh. God then used the rib that he had taken from the Man to make Woman and presented her to the Man. 23-25 The Man said, “Finally! Bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh! Name her Woman for she was made from Man.” Therefore a man leaves his father and mother and embraces his wife. They become one flesh. The two of them, the Man and his Wife, were naked, but they felt no shame.
God Created Marriage in the Beginning
In Genesis, it lays out the principal characteristic of a godly marriage. The husband and wife become one flesh. God’s ideal for marriage is that the two become one in purpose. The Lord’s union between Adam and Eve illustrates His ideal for marriage in scripture. His design was for husband and wife to join together for life, and to work together to form strong, godly families and to share the same values, goals, and outlook
Top 10 Bible Verses About Marriage
Want to know more about marriage in scripture? The Bible references it many times. Here are the top 10:
- Mark 10:6-9, God instituted marriage and gives it His blessing. (See also Genesis 1:27, 28; Hebrew 13:4)
- Genesis 2:18 God created humans with an innate need and desire for the close bond that marriage provides. (See also Proverbs 18:22)
- Genesis 2:23, 24 Husband and wife become “one” in the marriage bond. (See also Matthew 19:5, 6)
- Ecclesiastes 9:9 Marriage is a lifelong commitment. (See also Proverbs 5:18)
- Ephesians 5:28, 33 Husbands and wives are to love and respect each other.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 Husbands and wives should be bonded together with a similarity of beliefs, goals, and objectives. (See also Deuteronomy 7:3, 4; Genesis 24:3, 4)
- Exodus 20:17 Husbands and wives are to be sexually faithful to each other in the marriage relationship. (See also Leviticus 18:20)
- Matthew 5:32 Adultery is the only biblically acceptable reason for divorce.
- Isaiah 62:5 An ideal marriage relationship mirrors God’s loving relationship with His people. (See also Isaiah 54:5; Ephesians 5:25)
- Proverbs 31:10 A strong marriage relationship is a precious thing.
Marriage is a Blessing from God
God gave us marriage to make our lives richer and more fulfilling. Rooting our marriage in scripture not only makes for good marriages, it draws us closer to God, and our spouses. “He who finds a wife [or she who finds a husband] finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord” (Proverbs 18:22).
Eagle Family’s mission is to equip pre-marital and married couples, single parent and traditional families with Biblical tools resulting in healthy relationships. We bring our marriage seminars to your location or you can attend one of our fun marriage retreats to spice up your marriage.